Item # 502848
All across America, middle school teachers are ordering Building Math for their classrooms. Why? Because it’s uniquely appropriate for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) initiatives. And because it’s great fun!
Each of the Building Math programs uses algebraic thinking and data analysis to solve engineering problems in real-world settings.
• In Amazon Mission, students help a native village surmount malaria, and confront the environmental hazards of gold-mining.
• In Stranded!, they are marooned on a desert island, where they must identify their location, build shelter, distill water, and learn how to load and provision small canoes.
• In Everest Trek, they overcome the challenges of extreme weather and dangerous trail conditions to conquer the world’s tallest mountain.
Along the way, students will conduct mathematics investigations and use the engineering design process to solve problems they encounter. Building Math was developed through a partnership with the Boston Museum of Science and Tufts University, and successfully piloted in Boston-area schools.
• Each book includes a poster illustrating the engineering design process and a DVD with classroom implementation samples.
• Addresses Common Core State Standards and ITEA standards for technological literacy
Museum of Science, Dr. Peter Y. Wong, & Dr. Barbara M. Brizuela